Tuesday, February 25, 2014

QUESTION OF THE DAY -- AND THEN SOME...

What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were a kid?

One of the reasons I ask this is because I can't remember the last time I had a bowl of cereal for breakfast -- I've been working 12-hour nights for years, and concepts like "breakfast time," "lunch time," and "supper time" do not figure prominently in my life. I eat what I can eat when I need to eat it, the presence or the absence of the sun be damned. "Breakfast" often consists of half a submarine sandwich, "lunch" usually involves a salad, a yogurt, and the other half of the sub, and it's not odd for me to have a Western omelette for "supper" before bedtime. Drinking lots of beer over the years has helped just a little more than it's harmed me in this regard -- but that's a subject for another post. Now back to cereals...

I ate dozens of cereals when I was but a tiny mockling. I remember eating both Quisp and Fruit Brute at least once -- do either of those brands ring a bell, senoras and horsemen? I even remember eating Lucky Charms when that brand only featured four different marshmallows. But there are three cereals from my kidhood that I seem to recall liking the most: Cinnamon Life, Frosted Flakes, and Rice Chex. I might have been the only kid in my hometown who liked Rice Chex.

One cereal I couldn't stand was Cocoa Puffs. Never liked it, never will. Sonny, to me, was the perfect mascot for that cereal -- you truly had to be cuckoo to enjoy eating that shit. I didn't like Kellogg's Corn Flakes, either, but at one point in my life, economic troubles forced my nuclear family to live with my maternal grandparents, and they ate Corn Flakes for breakfast. This meant I was going to eat Corn Flakes for breakfast, too, so I eventually got used to that. But I don't think I'll ever acquire a taste for Cocoa Puffs.

Ho-kay, enough about me. What about you?