Friday, February 21, 2014

I Can't Believe I'm Doing This...



The next forty-five days may turn out to be the longest forty-five days in my life when all's said and done. But for one last stretch, I'm going to blog on behalf of the Democratic Party. I may take it further than that, or not, I don't know yet. Hell, that I'm even going this far is kind of a surprise to me. And Lord knows I'm just about permanently fed up with politics.

There is just too much at stake for me to ignore. It's been that way for many years. But now things are really starting to spin out of control. The government bailing out the American Insurance Group is just the most recent and most glaring example of how rotted from within our system is, and since the only vehicle for addressing this situation appears to be our own government (after all, look who AIG, among others, cried "Help me! Help me!" to first), then I think it matters a hell of a lot what kind of people we have in the government to address this situation. I am anything but fond of Democrats, but for fuck's sake, what's the only alternative? The Republicans? What good are they?

They don't care about governing. They don't care about solving problems. All they care about is maintaining what power they have, so they can continue enriching themselves at the expense of the rest of us -- and covering their asses when the inevitable consequences of their selfish intentions start hammering the rest of us. I've had enough of their self-serving shit to last me until time ends. I want no Republicans to win in November. I want no Republicans in Washington at all. I want that party to go the way of the Whigs -- or, and this would be more fitting, the Edmund Fitzgerald.

But that won't happen. So I'm left with two choices in November: vote for applying a tourniquet to my hemorrhaging society (Obama), or vote for more bloodletting (McCain). This is not a tricky decision to make -- the bleeding has to stop. The bleeding must stop. And like it or not, there's only one chance we have at stopping it. Unlike some of my readers, I do not want to see my country collapse. It's possible that a collapse might be just what it needs before it can pull itself back together. I really don't know. But I do know that I'm not one to believe that you necessarily need to hit bottom before that can happen -- grabbing me by the scruff of my neck and forcing me to gaze downward into the abyss is enough to get your message across, believe me.

Obama and Biden have to win this election. That's all there is to it. Right now, I don't like their chances. But I manage to take some heart from my own track record. I've made three endorsements over the years, and my record is 2-1. My first endorsement was for John Kerry for President in 2004. He lost. But I endorsed Tim Kaine for Virginia Governor in 2005 and Jim Webb for the US Senate in 2006, and both of them won. For that matter, I endorsed Barack Obama in the Virginia primary this year. He not only won this state, he won his party's nomination. So in that sense I'm 3-1. Maybe my luck will hold out.

Til further on...